yeah, it’s not like the 108º in vegas, but guess what?
it still sucks.
and it just has me craving something icy cold and delicious.
no, not beer.
but good guess.
banana ice cream, to be exact.
with chocolate. and walnuts. sort of a homemade version of ben & jerry’s chunky monkey.
can you resist??
i liked this recipe when i came across it cause it seemed simple enough, and i loved the fact that it didn’t call for a ridiculous amount of eggs. if it’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s eggy ice cream.
this is just perfect. and there is a pretty good chance it will all be gone by tomorrow. i just cant help it...
Banana Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
(recipe from Cat Cora at foodnetwork.com - though some changes have been made)
1 cup cream
1 pint milk
1 1/4 cups vanilla sugar (or regular granulated)*
2 egg yolks
2 bananas, pureed**
½ cup mini chocolate chips, or chocolate chopped
½ cup walnuts, chopped.
1. Heat cream, milk, and 1 cup of sugar to a light boil.
2. Meanwhile whisk yolks with remaining 1/4 cup sugar. When liquid has come to a boil, slowly pour into egg mixture while constantly whisking. Pour about 1 cup of the liquid in.
3. Pour the egg mixture back into the pot and bring back up to a boil until it thickens. It won’t thicken too much because there is a small amount of egg, but it should lightly coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and add in the pureed bananas.
4. Cool completely, for about 1 1/2 hours.
5. When mixture has thoroughly chilled, pour into ice cream machine and churn 20-25 minutes. About 20 minutes in, add in chocolate and walnuts and continue to churn until done. Freeze until hardened.
Or, you could do like me and eat it right out of the machine, freshly churned. It’s just irresistible.
Looks like you’ve got yourself an icy cold treat for those long summer days.
*alright, i'm a vanilla sugar whore. i just can't help that. the recipe called for vanilla bean (which is just as good) to be seeped with the cream and milk. one teaspoon of extract added in at the end works wonders, too.
**the recipe called for 1/2 cup banana, chopped. for more banana flavor, i pureed 2 bananas. i'm sure the former is great, too.