Wednesday, August 3, 2011

breakfast of champions

Photobucket

My usual go-to breakfast is a bowl of cereal. Sometimes a bagel and cream cheese if I’m feeling wild and crazy.
Since I've been getting up much earlier to tend to the pup, my breakfasts have been heartier. And lately I’ve been on a serious pancake kick. The mix comes together in seconds and with the help of my handy-dandy trusty griddler, I’ve got breakfast in no time!
And the mix is a blank canvas - which is arguably the best part. Lately I’ve been partial to chocolate chip and almond-granola.
A good glass of OJ makes this one heck of a breakfast.

Photobucket

When I was in high school, I was in a food production class. One class was dedicated to breakfast and we received handouts with recipes, including one for pancakes. I have used that recipe ever since. It really is perfect.
It makes a light, fluffy pancake and it comes together in a snap. As for syrup, I know it’s wrong, immoral, and I might as well be a communist, but I really like pancake syrup. Gobs of it. It is a serious guilty pleasure. Don’t judge.


Pancakes!
One batch makes about 4-6 pancakes, depending on size. Perfect for 2, but it can easily double if you want to make more.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 heaping T sugar (I usually add a pinch more)
1 T baking powder
½ t salt
1 egg
¾ c milk
2 T melted butter or vegetable oil

1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and whisk to combine.
2. Melt a pat of butter in a pan or griddle. Ladle some batter in and sprinkle on add-ins (chocolate chips, nuts, blueberries, etc.). Wait til bubbles show up on the surface of the pancake.
3. Flip, cook on other side, eat!

Photobucket

No comments: