Saturday, August 20, 2011

playing favorites

As much as I love food, I do have favorites. More specifically, I have one favorite that is way above the rest.
There is nothing like an ooey-gooey, cheesy, greasy cheeseburger.
I love it when the cheese oozes out. I love it when it’s so messy, I need excessive napkins. I love it when the edges of the burger have been perfectly seared and there’s a nice crisp edge all around the patty.
That is a great burger.
The cliché version of the cheeseburger is much different. You will see it on magazine covers, plastered on billboards, in commercials : a big fluffy bun, and a thick burger patty, making one big cheeseburger - almost too big to comfortably eat.
No, no, and no.
The best burger is a thin patty….preferably layers of them, really…seared on a flat-top so it gets perfectly caramelized, smothered with cheese, and then set perfectly atop a toasty, buttered bun.
When you bite down, the cheese oozes and you get full meat flavor.
I like my burgers with nothing on them. Meat and cheese, the occasional slather of mayo - the end. I like nothing to interfere with a good burger. Same thing goes with fries: a slight sprinkle of salt and I’m good.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The double char burger from Char Hut. Meat, cheese, mayo. Of course it looks like a heart attack waiting to happen, of course it will do terrible things for my thighs, but I don’t care.
If loving you is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

No comments: